Modelling & Simulation
Building Information Modelling (BIM)
In line with the Government initiative to drive greater efficiency from the construction sector together with the requirement to incorporate Building Information Modelling (BIM) to Level 2 standard on public sector contracts by 2016, Hulley & Kirkwood have been expanding their capabilities and experience in this sector. BIM has continued to move forward since our initial involvement with this method of working, some years ago, when we were commissioned to produce a BIM model for the £85M Thameside Prison project in London. Since then we have become involved in other projects in the health and education sectors and we have recently commenced works on the extension to our first such project at Thameside.
As the industry comes to terms with the introduction of BIM, we have tailored our offer to suit the specific requirements of our end clients. These clients vary from end users to installing contractors and the BIM requirement can vary between such parties. Where clients continue to run and operate the project, we have seen a desire to produce a complete BIM model which incorporates the entire services installation. This then has the ability to be taken forward as necessary to become part of the ongoing Facilities Management regime. In terms of our own capabilities, we have trained our staff members in our preferred BIM software platform – Autodesk Revit MEP.
The interest in BIM projects continues to grow across our industry and we are currently either involved with or are looking at further projects in all major sectors. We believe the combination of our past and present modelling experience, together with our commitment to invest in our systems and people, places us ahead of the majority of MEP practices when it comes to offering BIM support on projects.
HulleyEco provide a specialist in-house companywide simulation and environmental modelling division within Hulley & Kirkwood. This comprises of a team of highly skilled engineers equipped with IES Virtual Environment who are able to undertake detailed analysis of all aspects of building environmental performance. These engineers are qualified and certified through a broad range of sustainability schemes:
- CIBSE Low Carbon Consultants – Design, Calculation and Simulation
- CIBSE Low Carbon Consultant Energy Assessors
- BRE Approved Certifier of Design
- Domestic Energy Assessors
- BREEAM Assessors
- BREEAM Accredited Professionals
As a result, HulleyEco offer the potential to optimise the environmental performance and sustainability of buildings from an early stage and can identify the most effective and efficient design solution, to bring about real improvements in the overall performance of our designs. HulleyECO services include:
- Optimising building orientation through analysis of solar shading and daylight analysis
- Optimising façade design to maximise daylight whilst mitigating against excessive solar gains
- Analysis of building fabric options to maximise design efficiency
- Analysis of dynamic thermal comfort and building responsiveness
- CFD analysis of natural ventilation systems
- Bespoke operational Energy analysis and detailed building system analysis
- Demonstrating compliance with UK wide Building Regulation requirements
- Supporting wider sustainability assessments such as BREEAM and CSH