Dumfries & Galloway Schools
The Smarter Schools Project brings enhancement to school provision in Dumfries and Galloway.
Hulley & Kirkwood were M&E designers as part of the E4D&G Consortium who delivered this £110m project. This consisted essentially of eight schools, seven of which are new builds, along with an extension and refurbishment. These were as follows:-
- Wallace Hall Academy & Primary School, Thornhill: New build “all through school” comprising nursery, primary and secondary education
- Lockerbie Academy & Primary School, Lockerbie: New build “all through school” comprising nursery, primary and secondary education
- Moffat Academy & Primary School, Moffat: New build “all through school” comprising nursery, primary and secondary education
- Stranraer Academy, Stranraer: Refurbishment and extension of the secondary school
- Heathhall Primary School, Dumfries: New build nursery and primary school
- Dumfries RC Primary School, Dumfries: New build nursery and primary school
- Castle Douglas Primary School, Castle Douglas: New build nursery and primary school
- Kirkcudbright Primary School, Kirkcudbright: New build nursery and primary school
Each school utilises natural gas as the main energy source, with high efficiency boilerplant and LTHW/DHW distribution systems, with the exception of Wallace Hall which utilises oil due to the absence of a gas network and infrastructure within the local area. LTHW systems are zoned and controlled to maximise the efficiency of the plant, to suit building orientation and building use including community use functions. This includes system optimisation, compensation, frost protection as well as time control facilities.
Early discussion with the Architect and planning of the spaces delivered buildings which extensively utilise natural ventilation, with mechanical ventilation only provided where necessary.